Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Julia's gone

Julia is my oldest child of two. She left for college four years ago and this is the painting I did for her to display in her dorm room. She chose against bringing her teddy bear to college since its arm had nearly worn off over the years. I included books by two of her favorite authors from then, Mercedes Lakey and J.K.Rowling.

She graduated this past May from Duke and is currently working on her Master's in Business Systems at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. We talk frequently, but I still miss her presence in my daily life.

About six years ago I took a beginners drawing class at The Drawing Studio here in Tucson anticipating the day when the kids would be gone. I knew that I would need something more than golf and practicing orthodontics to keep active and "engaged" in my life without them around. About a year later I started taking oil painting classes and I have enjoyed "most" of the hours I've spent painting since. I will include photos of more of my work in future posts.